Vanilla Protein Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
(Source: lil-lady-kate, via fuckyeahcompassion)
Vegan, because all animals have rights — the rights to not be enslaved, exploited, used, abused and killed.
I am the voice of the voiceless
Through me the “dumb” shall speak
Till the deaf world’s ear
Be made to hear
The wrongs of the wordless weak.
And I am my brother’s keeper
And I shall fight his fight
And speak the word
For beast and bird
Till the world shall set things right.
– Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919)
Coconut Chai Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup strong chai tea
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick (not instant) oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger (use more for a spicier cake)
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar (I used demerara)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 2 tbsp reserved
- Prepare the chai ahead of time by steeping two teabags (I used decaffeinated Tazo Chai) in one cup of boiling water until cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients (oatmeal through sugar) in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the chai, applesauce, vinegar, extracts, and all but 2 tablespoons of the coconut. Mix well, and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooking time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 9
Nutrition (per serving): 173 calories, 14 calories from fat, 1.7g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 284.5mg sodium, 111.8mg potassium, 37.8g carbohydrates, 2.9g fiber, 18.6g sugar, 3.1g protein, 3 points.
This turned out lightly spiced, lightly sweet, and very dense. E. liked it so much that she asked for it to be her birthday cake. I think it works better as the equivalent of a coffee cake (a chai cake?) than as a birthday cake. It was actually perfect for breakfast… and for a midnight snack.
Planning on making Easter treats for your kids but don’t want to OD on sugar? Give these low-sugar strawberry mini muffins a try:http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/strawberry-mini-muffins.html
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes by kosmicak